Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven (Paperback 1999)

"How to Wrestle Free from an Alligator: 4. If its jaws are closed on something you want to remove (for example, a limb), tap or punch it on the snout..."- quote from 'The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook'>
     I bought this in an estate sale buy a number of years back, and despite my low expectations found this to be a funny and informative read that I have to give some praise. Not many books actually impress me in their sense of humor for their subject matter.
     Upon first reading, I did literally LOL.
     I even myself bought the phone / address book edition later down the road, because I enjoyed the original 'Worst Case...' Book so much. Terrible isn't it.
     Mitchell, Leary (From the Arizona-Nevada state line). Had this to say about it on Amazon : "Wow, what a book. Contains all kinds of cool stuff I've always wanted to know. Heres a partial list of whats in the book:-How to jump from a bridge into a lake or river.-How to jump from a multi-story rooftop into a dumpster.-How to run on top of a speeding train.-How to leap from a motorcycle into moving car.-How to deliver a baby in a taxi cab.-How to land an airplane.-How to survive if your parachute fails to open.-How to survive machine gun fire from a passing car.-How to get to the surface if your scuba tank runs out of air.-How to escape quicksand (even if your up to your neck).-How to ram a car.-How to break down a door (exactly where to kick.)-How to break into and hotwire a car.-How to do a 180 degree turn with your car (also known as a bootleggers turn).-How to fight sharks, grizzly bears and mountian lions without any kind of weapons. -How to beat the living hell out of an attacking alligator (where to hit him that will stop him instantly).This is dead serious material. I have no idea why it would be in the humor section of the bookstore. Buy it, learn the material, weave some fantastic tales for the grand kids and become the family legend. I enjoyed this book so much I bought 3 copies for my 'very tough' beer drinking buddies. "
     The series of books Piven has since published appear to be in the same fun thinking vein to which readers have become accustomed. Always good for a gift, in my opinion.
    Since I actually spent money on this, I thought it would only be fair to post a good reveiw on the blog.       
    This review is going to be short and sweet, because that is what I mainly have to say about Piven's work.  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment